Some people fall asleep as soon as their head finds the pillow but this is simply not the case for some individuals. Many of us spend hours awake before going into default mode and falling asleep in spite of ourselves. We try to delete the clutter from our minds; toss and turn, and generally make excuses to ourselves about our lack of ability to sleep.
If you lie awake night after night, join the club. Approximately 50 million Americans share your experience, and not all of them have sleep disorders.
Why can you not fall asleep?
- You don’t want to relinquish control
- You have Insomnia/sleep apnea
- You are anxious/afraid
- You are a night person
- Don’t want to miss anything
- Might not hear the baby cry
- Worried about finances, work issues, health concerns
- Bad memories/bad dreams
- Fear of being awake all night
The consequences of missing even a few hours of sleep can be severe. Research shows that short-term sleep deprivation can cause you to crave high carbohydrate and high sugar foods. It can also cause poor intellectual functioning and a higher risk of developing and a chronic illness.
- Follow a familiar pattern. Do the same routine things before bed every night. The familiar activities will prompt your mind and body that it’s time to go to sleep.
- Read a good book.
- Adjust the light and the temperature.
- Get plenty of exercise..
- Think of how great you will feel in the morning after a good night’s sleep.
- Imagine doing those things and feeling great about yourself, and just realize that you need to be rested if you want to have a great day tomorrow. Don’t try to put pressure on yourself! Just think of the end results that you will get if you could fall asleep faster tonight.
- Don’t look at TV or listen to music as it’s most likely these will keep you awake more than it should.
- Don’t fill you body with caffeine during daytime because you will feel the effects at night. Too much caffeine is both harmful for your health and sleep. You can also avoid having a coffee late in the afternoon as this will interfere with your sleep too.
Remember, there are steps you can take to help you drop into sleep effortlessly. After a morning wake up and a lot of hours at work, we all want to just go home, take a shower, eat and enjoy a relaxing sleep.