Isagenix’s brand of meal replacement shakes, IsaLean Shakes, is one of the company’s most popular products and, as Isagenix states it, “is a nutritious, balanced meal replacement with protein, energy-boosting carbohydrates and good fats that promote reduced cravings, healthy weight loss, and fat burning while building strong, lean muscle mass.”
Upon first inspection, it’s tempting to agree with Isagenix’s statement. The IsaLean Shakes have a substantial amount of “Cheerful Cows” protein per serving, contain 23 vitamins and minerals (the most we’ve seen yet), and have a great flavor profile.
But they also have a couple of things going against them (such as sugar content and price-point, to name a couple) that could sway your opinion of their product.
In this Isagenix shake review, we take a closer look at the research we uncovered, and help you decide if IsaLean shakes are the best option for reaching your weight loss goals.
Ingredients, Nutrients, Vitamins, and Minerals
How Many Calories Are In IsaLean Shakes?
IsaLean shakes contain 240 calories per serving. When compared with Ideal Shape shakes, that number appears to be substantially high. But keep in mind that those 240 calories are in 60g worth of powder, where the 100 calories in Ideal Shape shakes are in 29g of powder.
When viewed in that perspective, IsaLean shakes contain only about 30 calories more than Ideal Shape’s. While there’s still a difference, it’s not near as substantial as some believe.
How Much Protein Per Serving? Fats? Carbs?
One packet (60g) of IsaLean contains 24g of protein, 40% of the packet’s total weight.
That packet also contains 5g of total fat (1.5g saturated) and 24g of total carbohydrates (8g dietary fiber; 11g sugars).
Other nutrients include:
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 260mg
- Potassium: 320mg
What Vitamins and Minerals Does It Contain?
Isagenix’s IsaLean shakes contain 23 different vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin A: Strengthens your body’s immune system and boosts cell growth
- Vitamin C: Helps protect your body’s immune system and wards off fatigue caused by stress
- Calcium: Helps promote healthy weight managements and strengthens bones
- Iron: Increases energy and promotes production of hemoglobin
- Vitamin D: Promotes absorption of calcium and decreases risk of diabetes
- Vitamin E: Promotes a healthy immune system and fights free radicals
- Vitamin B: Supports nerve cell and muscle function.
- Riboflavin: Plays a big role in energy production and electron transportation
- Niacin: Promotes healthy levels of good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol
- Vitamin B6: Breaks down the protein consumed daily
- Folate: Helps regulate brain functions and improves mood
- Vitamin B12: Crucial for red blood cell production
- Biotin: Promotes healthy nails and skin
- Phosphorous: Supports bone and muscle health
- Magnesium: Supports healthy kidneys and heart
- Zinc: Supports the immune and respiratory systems
- Selenium: Helps fight free radicals and reduces odds of certain cancers
- Copper: Increases energy and supports healthy blood and nerve function
- Manganese: Promotes a healthy bone structure and bone metabolism
- Chromium: Helps lower cholesterol, insulin levels, and blood sugar
- Molybdenum: Helps metabolize important amino acids (building blocks for protein)
- Pantothenic Acid: Helps turn food into energy
- Iodine: Strengthens the thyroid
Taste and Consistency
What Flavors Are Available?
IsaLean shakes are currently available in five flavors: Creamy French Vanilla, Strawberry Cream, Creamy Dutch Chocolate, Black Sesame and Orange Cream.
Based on what we’ve found, the Creamy Dutch Chocolate appears to the fan favorite with Creamy French Vanilla coming in a close second. Strawberry Cream is the newest flavor, and Black Sesame can be consumed either cold or warm.
The shakes are known for their sweetness, which makes sense, seeing how just one packet contains 11g of sugar. While that’s not an insane amount in the grand scheme of things, it is approximately six times as much sugar in a similar amount of Ideal Shape shakes.
If you’re especially strict with your daily sugar intake, this may not be the best brand for you to go with. On the other hand, if taste is important, then Isagenix will more than likely be a top contender.
What Is The Consistency Like?
Where Ideal Shape shakes tend to fall a bit short in the consistency department, Isagenix shakes are standout stars. The results speak for themselves.
We can count on one hand the number of consumers that complained about the IsaLean shakes consistency. And in what few complaints we did find, the consumers felt the shakes were a little too thick for their tastes.
The thing with thicker shakes is that they usually don’t mix as well as those with thinner profiles. IsaLean shakes seem to be the exception to the rule. Clumps were virtually non-existent when mixed with water and at a minimum when mixed with milk.
To sum up the taste and consistency of IsaLean shakes… they easily fall within our top three list of most tasty meal replacement shakes.
What Does Isagenix Use to Curb Hunger?
Isagenix uses a combination of whey protein, fiber, and active enzymes to help curb consumers’ hunger and appetite – the standout component being the active enzymes.
While we were unable to find out what all the active enzymes consisted of, we did uncover that Lactase is one of them. Lactase is a digestive enzyme that helps break down milk sugar lactose, which helps consumers digest the milk components much easier.
Those same enzymes also help stave off hunger for up to 4 hours (according to reports from consumers). That time limit places IsaLean towards the top of the hunger-curbing duration list for meal replacement shakes that we’ve reviewed.
How Long Is Hunger Curbed On Average?
While hunger has been curbed for up to 4 hours for some consumers, two-and-a-half hours seems to be the average time (slightly above average for meal replacement shakes).
If you’re active, the appetite suppression will probably be shorter (due to a higher metabolism). If you’re not as active, then it’s more likely to be longer.
Isagenix Reviews & Results
The results we uncovered form other consumers’ Isagenix shake reviews were mostly positive. A couple of reviews that really stuck out to us include:
- A 55-year old that lost over 25 lbs. (time-frame not included in the review). The person states that they are now a size 4.
- Another consumer lost 15 lbs. in the span of a couple of months with very minimal exercise.
Keep in mind that the results above are not typical and will vary depending on your genetics, fitness level, and countless other factors.
But based on what we uncovered during our research, we’re confident that if you use the shakes as directed and are active, you will see some form of weight loss within a couple of weeks.
Pros and Cons
- High quantities of protein. IsaLean shakes have 24g of protein in each single-serving packet – some of the highest quantities of protein found in meal replacement shakes that we’ve reviewed so far.
- Effective at curbing hunger. A litmus test for meal replacement shake quality is the length of time it curbs appetite. Most quality shakes will curb it for an average of two hours. Isagenix shakes are slightly above average.
- Protein is free from hormones and routine antibiotics. IsaLean protein is sourced from “Cheerful Cows” – cows that have not been treated with hormones or routine antibiotics.
- Contains 23 vitamins and minerals. Isagenix shakes have all of the typical vitamins and minerals found in meal replacement shakes and then some. The additions of selenium, manganese, and molybdenum make this formula stand out form the competition.
- High levels of marketing materials. Reports state that the product is shipped with a large amount of marketing materials that seemingly try to convince the consumer to join Isagenix’s MLM scheme. That will be a nuisance for some, but not for others.
- More expensive than similar products. Isagenix is on the expensive end of the meal replacement shake spectrum. (More on price in the Where to Buy section).
- High in sugar content. The only category to take a significant hit in terms of quality is IsaLean’s sugar content. A single packet contains 11g of sugar – almost six times the amount found in a similar serving of Ideal Shape (2g of sugar).
Where to Buy Isagenix IsaLean Meal Replacement Shakes
We searched for a way to purchase IsaLean shakes directly from Isagenix’s website, but were unable to locate it (which was somewhat surprising to us).
For that reason, we concluded that Amazon.com/Isalean is the best location to purchase IsaLean shakes:
One 30.1 oz. container costs $53.00
That comes out to $0.83 per ounce.
Standard Shipping is Free (Item ships within 5-8 business days)
There’s a lot to like about Isagenix’s IsaLean shakes. They pack a lot of protein (important for building muscle), curb hunger for a substantial amount of time, and have a thicker consistency and sweeter flavor than other similar products.
Our biggest issues with IsaLean are its high levels of sugar and higher price point. While we still personally prefer Ideal Shape’s Review line of meal replacement shakes to IsaLean, we would definitely recommend this product as a quality alternative.