Cellulite looks like wrinkled up paper or desiccated chicken skin. It is ugly and yucky, and it happens to a large percentage of the population. Cellulite is caused by the loss of elasticity on the fatty tissues of the body. Although it has not been scientifically proven, pregnancy probably has a lot to do with the development of cellulite. Let’s face it, many of us followed tradition and had those 2 gorgeous children, and we now carry the battle scars. Cellulite can also be the result of age or roller-coaster weight loss.
Other factors that influence how many visible bumps and dimples you have in your thighs include:
- Inadequate diet
- Sluggish metabolism
- Too little activity or exercise
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Liposuction is a surgical treatment that eliminates much of the fat from the body. However, it is not especially effective for the removal of cellulite. Cellulite collects just under the top layer of the skin and liposuction is a deep fat remover.
- cellulite creams are touted to melt fat and level out the skin. However, there is no scientific proof showing that these products reduce or remove cellulite.
- Mesotherapy is the injection of vitamins just under the skin. This treatment melts fat and improves the appearance of cellulite to an extent, but there is a risk of infection.
- Perhaps the most promising surgical intervention is laser treatment. It is believed that laser treatment can dissolve fat and promote the production of collagen.
If you are concerned about cellulite, but reluctant to go under the knife, or you’re saving for your child’s education, there is a convenient, effective and inexpensive ways to treat cellulite. Stay at a healthy weight with diet and exercise. Add more fruits, vegetables and fiber to your diet; drink plenty of water. Aerobics and walking are the most effective ways to exercise and these activities are easy to integrate into the average daily schedule.
Whichever option you choose, if you are troubled by cellulite, get on with it. Cellulite is not harmful, and chances are it is not nearly as visible to others as it is to you. However, many women want to rid their bodies of cellulite because of the way it looks, and self-concept is important for all of us. Get rid of that papery skin and look great in your swimsuit this summer!